Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Late to the Party!

Hey, 2014! It's new year; a time for new beginnings. A few nights ago, I was watching Alfred Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief, which I had never seen before, and it got me thinking of other well-loved films I haven't seen. Figuring in the fact that it is a new year, I started jotting down those pictures that I have wanted to see for quite a long while, but, for whatever excuse, never made time for. All in the hope that 2014 would be the year I would no longer be "late to the party".

That's when things got a little out of hand. I had to stop at a point before I really started to doubt my credibility as a movie fan.

Here are 50 I came up with:

All the President's Men
American Gigolo
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
Being John Malkovich
Black Hawk Down
Blue Velvet
Blood Simple
Brokeback Mountain
Bullitt
Delicatessen
Doctor Zhivago
Dog Day Afternoon
El Topo
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Ghost World
Giant
Gone With the Wind
The Great Escape
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
The Haunting (1963)
Holy Mountain
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Last Picture Show
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Mean Streets
Memento
Nashville
Peeping Tom
The Player
Raging Bull
Rebel Without a Cause
Repulsion
Rolling Thunder
The Royal Tennenbaums
Run Lola Run
Serpico
Shaft (1971)
Slap Shot
Some Like it Hot
The Sound of Music
Spartacus
The Sting
Strangers on a Train
A Streetcar Named Desire
Superfly
True Grit (1969)
12 Angry Men
Vertigo
Westworld
The Wild Bunch

Yeah, I'm hanging my head in shame, too. Considering the fact a lot of these movies fall outside of the genres I'm more passionate about, I don't think I'll get through the whole list in the next twelve months. I still think it will be fun to try.

- JDO

No comments:

Post a Comment